- Scleroderma differs from person to person but can be very serious.
- There are medications, as well as steps individuals can take, to ease the symptoms of Raynaud’s phenomenon, skin problems and heartburn.
- Effective treatments are available for those with severe disease, including acute kidney disease, pulmonary hypertension, lung inflammation and gastrointestinal problems.
- It is important to recognize and treat organ involvement early on to prevent irreversible damage.
- Patients should see physicians with specialized expertise in the care of this complex disease.